WELCOME TO THE 52ND ANNUAL AJL CONFERENCE, 2017
We look forward to welcoming you at our 52nd conference at Hebrew Union College, NYC, June 19 to 21, 2017.
We have reserved rooms in the Hotel Edison on W. 47th St., right by Times Square. There are four Broadway theaters on the same block as the hotel. This year we will hold our meals and sessions in a separate location – Hebrew Union College on W. 4th St.
The focus and theme of this year’s conference is “The Sky’s the Limit: The Next Generation of Judaica Librarianship.” We have a very rich program planned:
- Keynote speaker James Neal, the incoming president of the American Library Association, and former Vice Provost and University Librarian at Columbia
- International speakers, from such countries as Germany, Austria, Argentina, Israel, Lithuania, Barbados and the United Kingdom
- Session topics include Holocaust education and literature, literary criticism, history of the book and book collecting, the future of libraries, educational technology, reference sources, and Yiddish literature
- Illustrious panelists include Marjorie Ingall and Arthur A. Levine
- Fannie Goldstein Award Luncheon honoring AJL members David Gilner and Aviva Astrinsky (Tuesday)
- Sydney Taylor and RAS Awards Luncheon (Wednesday)
- Three tours after the conference
Our conference is a wonderful opportunity to experience the Jewish history and culture of the city of Sydney Taylor, as well as to enjoy its many general cultural sites and events.
Logistics and Travel Information
Donate / Exhibit / Advertise / Sponsor Information
Special Conference Events
- Wednesday afternoon: a tour of the Tenement Museum (cost: $20; $18 for 65 and over)
- Wednesday afternoon: a free tour of the Center for Jewish History
- Thursday morning: a free tour of The Synagogues of the Upper East Side
We look forward to an excellent conference and invite you to join your colleagues and friends for a wonderful experience.
Jim Rosenbloom (chair) and members of the NYC Conference Committee